With so many options available in this era, it may be overwhelming trying to figure out what is the best way to capture your target audience’s attention. Marketing trends change every day and very fast! It is important to remember a number of factors such as your product, and who your target audiences are when deciding on your marketing strategy. Marketers have now shifted to digital platforms to promote their brands such as social media, email and blogs which are used more frequently. However, this does not minimize the effectiveness of traditional marketing such as Tv ads or newspapers. When discussing digital marketing and traditional marketing there are a few things to consider. Keep reading to find out more and help you decide which may be best for your business.
What is Digital Marketing?
Digital marketing refers to the technique used to advertise your goods/services through different digital channels. This is a great way to connect with customers through different platforms such as social media, email and blogs just to name a few. These strategies require the use of technology to perform these particular tasks.
Pros and Cons of Digital Marketing.
- Digital marketing strategies are more cost-efficient. It is easier and cheaper to send out an email or make a social media post compared to printing a poster. Everything is done online for digital marketing.
- It is much easier to reach persons from all over the world. With just one post on your social media platform, anyone from anywhere can view or even share!
- Accessibility to items and documents in digital format. The digital platform provides relevant information in softcopy which can be accessed at any time or anywhere.
- It is much easier to analyze marketing insights, metrics and results. With Digital marketing, data is stored online and can be easily accessed. You are able to track customers’ activities and observe which marketing techniques customers are more drawn to, which helps to create better strategies for your business.
- Digital marketing promotes two-way communication. This helps customers to feel more involved with your company. This is the best way to satisfy customers as they are able to make suggestions as to which technique may work best for them.
- Because technology improves very often, trends change almost every day and people have so many different options. Digital approaches may need to be changed daily for them to be effective as they may become irrelevant.
What is Traditional Marketing?
Traditional marketing has been around for ages. This basically refers to the different marketing methods that can be done without the use of the internet. We have all been exposed to this marketing strategy at one point. This includes the use of radio commercials, billboards, and newspaper ads.
Pros of Cons of Traditional Marketing.
- It can be used as a great commercial tool for your business. Radios are almost everywhere, whether it’s public transportation or a store. Commercials will usually play repeatedly which can be used to advertise your business and the products or services you offer.
- Traditional marketing provides hard copy documents. Customers are able read information on your products/services as well as be a physical reminder for them to keep.
- Traditional marketing makes it easier for face-to-face interaction. It is more convenient to have a personal relationship with customers as it will be easier to promote your brand’s name
- Traditional marketing is a great way to reach the older generation. Elders are more likely to purchase newspapers or listen to the radio rather than the younger generation.
- Consumers are unable to avoid interruptions. With traditional marketing, consumers are not given the option to skip through any interference that may prevent them from getting the necessary information for your business. This may be frustrating for customers.
- There is little to no customer interaction involved with traditional marketing. Customer’s inputs may not be heard when needed and they may not feel involved.
- Traditional marketing can be pricey. The use of radio or tv advertisements will cost a huge amount of money. Also, printing posters for different locations will even cost more due to the fact that some may be damaged over time and may need to be replaced.
- Traditional marketing methods can take weeks or months to yield results and data. There is no way to follow up with leads or get an estimate of what advertising works better for promotion.
Both marketing strategies serve different purposes. Digital marketing is taking over because of its advantages and the technological generation that we are in. Once you fully understand your business and who you are trying to reach, then it will be much easier to choose which works best for you.